Lift & ShiftBlog Category :Published on: 18 January 2021
Need for moving out of Legacy Platform
eCommerce re-platform projects are one of the most complex initiatives. They involve high expectations from the new platform, operating under tough deadlines, maintaining functional parity, demonstrating technology superiority with reduced operating costs, taking care of data migration without inconveniencing end customers, and in many cases operating both the platforms together for a certain period before finally retiring the old platform.
Why should you make a move?
Many retailers across the globe are on the verge of moving out of their legacy eCommerce platform for various reasons such as:
- Platform reaching its end of life.
- Legacy platforms have high Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Involves high maintenance, patches & upgrades. Keeps IT busy rather than allowing them to focus on supporting business initiatives.
- Legacy platforms are becoming obsolete! It is difficult to find resources who can continue to maintain them.
- It is slow to develop, takeslonger time to market (TTM), leading to a competitive disadvantage.
- They are unable to leverage latest technology advancements, again creating a competitive disadvantage.
Lift & Shift eCommerce Projects
A “Lift & Shift” involves moving an existing solution from a Legacy platform to a NextGen platform, generally leveraging the capabilities of the new platform but retaining existing business features. Expectations from the Lift & Shift initiative usually are:
- The new solution must retain parity in terms of functionality.
- The new platform should “do more for less” by leveraging advancements in technology.
- The migration should not result in any data loss or inconvenience to end-users.
- Business tooling should be friendly and not result in large transition times for Business Users.
- The (TCO) should typically be lower as compared to the previous platform.
Unfortunately, achieving “Lift & Shift” is not an easy task and involves several pitfalls.
- Most of the time, businesses tend to put platform choices before business requirements. Every business is unique and has a certain way of operating. Experience and indepth business knowledge is required to understand these details.
- Many platforms make it easy to set up stores initially. However, in the long run, these tend to do more harm than good to your business. The solutions are commoditized to a large extent and the flexibility of customization is limited or convoluted.
- Unavailability of customer SMEs as some key people might have moved on, and the Development Partner does not have sufficient eCommerce domain experience. At times, this leads to situations wherein old platform limitations are carried over to the new platform.
- Most implementation partners do not have robust, flexible SDLC processes and models that can be leveraged to put together a detailed project plan which can manage changes and run parallel to in-flight projects.
AIE’s approach towards Lift & Shift Projects
Envisioning the re-platform Solution
Stabilizing the re-platform Solution
Operating and Maintaining the New Platform
Ability to deliver under tight deadlines
Can handle complex integrations & business processes
Strong eCommerce domain expertise
Strong RUP & Agile Delivery Capabilities
One Stop g Partner for E2E services
Ability to innovate & optimize
Leveraging the new platforms full capabilities to achieve lesser TCO over time
Leverage cloud elasticity & cost effectiveness
Experience ZERO downtimes
Self-heal capabilities with ability to maintain throughput
Production grade, performance tested platform
We have the experience and can help you reduce and manage the complexity involved in this re-platforming journey.